Monday, July 26, 2010

Images...are they even important?
While we have been told that when using images, within a classroom, they should be relevant to the topic and content, but is that really true? According to Stefanov (2008), an author and speaker on 'Exceptional Performance', images are the main tool that first catches and then engages the viewer. When researching the percentage of websites that is 'images' the results were a shock to me. I could not believe the high percentage of images that made-up the website and it was all for one reason: 'Catching the viewers eye, and then keeping them engaged' (or so they explore the website further).

So, if websites know it's the main engaging tool to use why shouldn't teachers be using it as a major tool too?

I believe some sort of image should be used within every lesson, especially with younger grades and the majority of the time they should be relevant to the content. However, I do not see a problem with using a random image of a find-a-word or using that image for a colouring-in etc, for extra work in a early childhood classroom.

What is your opinion?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Emily, I really like the way that you have put this into perspective for me. I definately agree that images play a huge role in engagement into learning for young learners, and also older learners, however, your point about websites using it as a major tool has really emphasised the importance to me that teachers should be using images to their advantage. I think in doing this though, teachers need to be selective in choosing purposeful and meaningful images that will have that same effect by hooking young learners into tasks which might not be as appealing to them.

    I can see in your post that even using that visual of a graph has presented the data in a way that has catured my attention and therefore, engaged me in reading your thoughts.

    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emma,
    Thankyou for your thoughts and opinions!
    I agree with your view about teachers needing to choose images with a purpose and meaning! I also loved the aspect of teachers using inviting images to hook children into tasks that might not be as appealing to them.
    I had not thought of using images for that purpose.

    Emily.

    ReplyDelete