Monday, August 9, 2010

Interactive Whiteboard (IWB)

Interactive Whiteboard...I have had one in both my prac classrooms and I absolutely love them!
I love the interactive learning games that can be used within a lesson - and how the children can come show the answer which turns into a moving animation showing they answered correctly.

Besides my own personal experience, I did not really know the full benefits IWBs can have within the classroom, so I decided to do some research and see if the results aligned with my personal opinion.

The following data has been collected from NSW Department of Education and Training (1999-2010) and SMART Technologies (2010) who conducted a study in the UK, US, Australia and Canada to find the positive impacts interactive whiteboards have in the classroom.
This is what they stated:
  • IWBs are suitable for learners of all ages.
  • Interactive whiteboards allow computer-based learning without isolating pupils in front of individual computer screens.
  • Teachers can use digital resources while maintaining dynamic interaction with the entire class.
  • IWBs give the students the opportunity to become the 'teacher', this increased ownership of their learning leads to better retention of the information.
  • Graphic brain-storming software is available for all KLA's and has been proven to effectively engaged nearly all students
  • Intrinsically motivates learners to enjoy demonstrating their knowledge on the interactive whiteboard.
  • Extrinsically motivates learners to be enticed by the “wow factor” and to enjoy the use of technology.
  • Can be used as a 'reward' for students
  • Their large, visible workspace encourages a higher level of pupil interaction in both teacher-directed and student-directed lessons.
  • Visual learners benefit from note taking, drawing diagrams and manipulating objects or symbols on the large screen
  • Kinaesthetic learners can reinforce learning through exercises involving touch, movement and space on the interactive whiteboard
  • Auditory learners benefit from receiving the information verbally read by the talking narrator
  • The technology motivates teachers to incorporate and develop more digital and interactive resources into their lessons
  • Notes and materials can be saved use with the next lesson, class or even next year

I was very impressed with the positive results IWBs received, however I knew it wouldn't be fair to end the blog entry without also researching the disadvantages. I struggled to find credible/reliable negative information about IWBs, I ended using comments made from UK school website, made by students and UK Learning Technology website, here is what they stated were some disadvantages:

  • Very expensive to buy and fix
  • Screens can be damaged by students
  • Lighting has to be right to be seen clearly by students
  • Pens have had to be charged correctly
  • Access to a computer and projector is needed to 'run' the IWB

I personally believe the advantages outweigh the negatives, and I love incorporating the IWB into my lessons. I believe all classrooms should have one, and I would definitely recommend it as a effective tool within the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment